Introduction: Names were very important in Bible times.
1. THE NAME “GOD ALMIGHTY” (17:1-2):
A. The Significance of Revelation (1a)
B. The Significance of Responsibility (1b)
C. The Significance of Relationship (2)
2. THE NAME “ABRAHAM” (17:3-14):
A. The Significance of People (3-6)
B. The Significance of Covenant (7)
C. The Significance of Land (8-9)
D. The Significance of Circumcision (10-14)
3. THE NAME “SARAH” (17:15-16):
A. The meaning is “princess” (15).
B. The mother of the Jewish nation (16a).
C. The mother of kings (16b).
D. The model for Christian wives (1 Peter 3:1-6).
4. THE NAME “ISAAC” (17:17-27):
A. The laughter he caused (17-18).
B. The link he provided (19).
C. The legitimate seed (20-27):
1) Ishmael would still be blessed (20).
2) Isaac would carry on the covenant (21-22).
3) Ishmael was circumcised with Abraham (23-27).
CONCLUSION: Regardless of the names people wear, God has great plans for His people and He is at work in our lives when we choose to live for Him.